Title: 'Story Telling and narrative through Typography '
A workshop by Prof. G V Sree Kumar
Faculty Member, IDC, IIT Bombay
Abstract: Traditionally the fields of Story Telling and narrative was closely associated with richness of stories, methods of narratives and interplay of visual imagery. This workshop aims to experiment with typographical devices and use of "word as image" to creatively explore realms of story telling and narrative with a new typographical imagery.
Materials/ tools to be brought by student participants:
Participants can bring laptop with Adobe Indesign or Illustrator, scribble pads or note pads, sketch pen sets, 6B and 4B pencils, erasers. Laptop is NOT compulsory.
Head, IDC School of Design, IIT Bombay
M.Des (Visual Communication) Industrial Design Centre (IDC), IIT, Bombay, 1992.
BFA (Applied Arts), Faculty of Fine Arts, M.S. University, Vadodara,1990.
Fields of expertise:
- Visual Design,
- Publication Design,
- Magazine Design
- Information Graphics
- June 2000 till date: Faculty Member at The Industrial Design Centre, IIT Bombay, Powai, Bombay.
- 2 years with Jasubhai Digital Media. Group Art Director of magazines including CHIP, Digit, CHIP specials, CHIP Hindi, Computer Reseller News, Network Computing, Computer Gaming World etc.
- 1 year with Intelligent Investor, India's first personal finance magazine, from the publishers of Outlook
- 1 year and six months with The Indian Express (Madurai) group. Art Director for Gentleman and Biznet.
- 3 years with The Independent and The Metropolis on Saturday and Bombay Times, a part of The Times of India group as Graphic Designer. Also contributed for various publications from Times Group including Femina, Illustrated Weekly, Sunday Times etc.
- Graphic artist with Doordarshan, Trivandrum.
- Freelance cartoonist and illustrator for various magazines in Kerala.
Subjects taught : Typography, Information Graphics, Calligraphy, Representational Techniques, Visual Design, Media Technology, Anatomy and Life Drawing, Publication Design, Computer Aided Design etc